Common Core Test Prep Workshops
Getting Ready for the new Common Core Assessments: Backwards Mapping for CASPP
The new Smarter Balanced Tests (CASPP) require students to CREATE effective answers in writing during the constructed response as well as the on-demand performance tasks portions of the tests. No longer will students be able to rely on process of elimination to answer correctly on all test items.
During a professional development session Charlotte will:
- Show teachers how to embed higher level questioning strategies with literature and informational texts
- Demonstrate strategies for the students to not only do the deeper thinking, but show their thinking in a well-written constructed response. (Can be classroom demos, or within the teacher workshop.)
- Model how to teach students to support their thinking in writing by citing evidence from text
- Provide a resource with the sample constructed response question stems from SBAC as well as generic question stems based on Depth of Knowledge
- Suggest a reasonable pacing of lessons to include leading up to this spring’s test.
Contact Charlotte to schedule a session.
About Charlotte: Charlotte Knox, of Knox Education, is an educational consultant with long-term success and experience in helping students, teachers, administrators, and districts improve literacy and academic performance and narrow the achievement gap. In 2011 she built a comprehensive website which now houses all of the tools and curricula she has developed over the past twenty years. Her major focus during the time of transition to the Common Core has been on effective teaching of the three writing types, as well as the design of student and teacher friendly Common Core standards based tools for teaching and planning.
Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now. -Alan Lakein